We grow sturdy, healthy seedlings by adhering to growing practices we consider good for the earth. We are certified organic. Visitors to our urban farm often see our work in progress, and we can actually show them the high quality products and processes we use to grow our plants. Healthy plants resist pests and disease. We know it for a fact!
Healthy seedlings start from high quality seed. We obtain our organic seed from many places, but they are all from reputable seed houses that we know and trust. Our seed sources include:
For our Seedlings we use:
- High quality potting mix that contains natural, rock-based fertilizers
- Beneficial mycorrhizal fungi innocultion of our plants' roots
- Pest management based on using natural predator insects (beneficial insects) only. We work hard to provide food, water and shelter for this ecosystem of critters with specific flowers that bloom spring, summer, and fall and little drinking water dishes filled with pebbles so our small friends don't drown. We used to order these small predators from reputable companies, but now find that the local populations are strong enough that ordering bugs is unnecessary.
In the Garden we use...
- Compost, Compost, Compost! And lucky for you, we sell this "black gold" by the bagful. Organic matter helps keep our soils awesome.
- Foliar sprays of liquid seaweed, effective microbes and and cold processed, high quality liquid fish (Neptune's Harvest uses human grade scraps from seafood processing) keep our plants healthy. We try to never over fertilize
- We don't till our beds but we use a broakfork once a year to loosen our soil. This protects our soil structure and the organisms living there.
- We protect our soil from leaching and compaction in the fall and winter with cover crops
- To conserve water we use soaker hose irrigation and a thick layer of leaf mulch year round
If you have gardening questions about plants you have purchased from us, don't hesitate to send them our way!